To be a registered healthcare professional in Australia there are certain mandatory registration standards that are required to be met before registration can be completed. There is an English language skills registration requirement stipulated by Section 38 of the National Law before a healthcare professional can be officially registered.
English Language Requirements for Nurses and Midwives
All international qualified nurses and midwives applying for registration in Australia, must demonstrate English language proficiency. If you do not have the adequate English language requirements for registration, than there are two tests that can be taken. These include:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test
Nurses and Midwives must achieve an overall minimum score of 7 in each of the four components.
- Occupational English Test (OET) for Nurses
Nurses and Midwives must achieve an overall Pass, with grades of A or B in all four components of the test.
For more information contact our friendly consultants on one of our Free Call Numbers
English Requirements for Doctors, Medical Staff and Allied Health
If you are an internationally qualified doctor or Allied health professional, the Medical Board of Australia has stipulated the following English requirements for specialist assessment in Australia. These requirements are also applicable for other medical professionals including doctors, allied health professionals and most other medical professions.
- Completed the international English language testing system (IELTS) examination (academic module) and achieved a minimum score of 7.0 in each of the four components.
- Results must have been obtained within the two years prior to applying for registration.
- An IELTS (or approved equivalent) test report form more than two years old will be accepted as evidence of present level ability, if accompanied by proof that a candidate has actively maintained employment as a medical practitioner, in a country where English is the native or first language.
- For the purpose of exemption the Medical Board of Australia requires a minimum score of 7.0 in each of the four components of the academic module of the IELTS examination.
- To prove English proficiency an applicant can also complete of the NZREX.
- To prove English proficiency an applicant can also complete the PLAB test.
- Please note that the applicant bares all test and registration fees.