Following an offer of employment, confirmed by HealthStaff Recruitment, you will need to have your qualifications and skills assessed by the Australian Medical Council (AMC). You may also commence this process prior to a receiving a job offer.
Depending on your level of training and experience, you will be assessed by the AMC via one of the following 3 pathways:
Competent Authority Pathway – Generally for overseas trained non-specialists (although also available to specialists including general practitioners) who have completed their training through an AMC-designated competent authority. The AMC-designated competent authorities are;
- General Medical Council (United Kingdom—for the PLAB examination or for graduates of GMC-accredited medical courses in the United Kingdom)
- Medical Council of Canada (LMCC)
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates of the United States (USMLE)
- Medical Council of New Zealand (NZREX)
- Medical Council of Ireland (graduates of medical courses in Ireland accredited by the Medical Council of Ireland.
Read more about the Competent Authority Pathway.
Standard Pathway – Generally for overseas trained doctors seeking general registration with the Medical Board of Australia. Applicants will need to pass an examination or workplace based assessment (and examination) to obtain general registration.
Read more about the Standard Pathway.
Specialist Pathway – Generally for overseas trained specialists in one of the following categories:
- Overseas-trained specialists applying for assessment of comparability to the standard of a specialist trained in that specialty in Australia (specialist recognition)
Read more about the Specialist Pathway.
- Overseas-trained specialists applying for an area of need position in Australia
Read more about Trained Specialists.
- Overseas-trained specialists or specialists-in-training wishing to undertake a short period of specialist or advanced training in Australia.
Read more about Specialist and Advanced Training.
You will need to visit AMC to determine which pathway applies to you.
An online self-assessment check will assist you.
You will also need to download the relevant application forms for your pathway. It is imperative that you complete your application to the AMC thoroughly and accurately, as errors will delay your outcome.
HealthStaff Recruitment can offer you free assistance to check your application before you submit it to the AMC.
It is a requirement of the Medical Board of Australia that you provide proof of English language proficiency for all registration categories unless exempt and you are advised to obtain that proof before applying under any of the assessment pathways.
Before you can practice medicine in Australia you must also be registered by the Medical Board of Australia (MBA). The registration process may take several steps depending on whether you are a specialist, a general practitioner or a hospital non-specialist (junior doctor, registrar) and by which pathway you have been assessed by the AMC.
Once again this can be a complicated process, however you can rest assured your specialist HealthStaff Recruitment consultant will guide and assist you every step of the way.
Once you have achieved registration by the MBA, you may apply to the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) for your relevant work visa.
For more information please contact our Medical Recruitment Specialist by:
Please feel free to contact us for further information or any questions. Contact us through our contact form here. You can also free call us on one of the below numbers.
UK 0800 047 0924
Ireland 1800 422 011
NZ 0800 223 381
Australia 1800 330 533
Canada 1866 286 7349