International Healthcare professionals who seek to work in Australia, must receive an Australian working visa permitting them to work in Australia. If you are a nurse or Midwife seeking employment in any area of Australia, you must have a visa that permits you to do so.
There are a few main working visas that permit employment in Australia. They include the following:
- Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)
- Temporary Work (skilled) Visa (subclass 457)
- Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462)
- Temporary work (short stay activity) Visa (subclass 400)
- Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
- Regional sponsored migration scheme Visa (subclass 187)
- Special Category Visa (subclass 444)
Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)
This working visa is a temporary working visa for young individuals who seek to work and holiday in Australia. To be eligible for this visa you must:
- Be at least 18 years old but not yet 31 years old.
- Do not have dependent children accompanying you at any time during your period of stay.
- Have a passport from an approved country.
Temporary work (skilled) Visa (subclass 457)
This working visa is a temporary working visa for Australia that permits work for up to four years. It is specifically for skilled workers who want to work in Australia in their specified occupation from an approved sponsor. To qualify for this Visa you must:
- Have an approved business has sponsored you to work in Australia
- You have the required skills and qualifications to work in the approved position
- Must be nominated to work in an approved occupation
- Speak the English language
- Meet registration requirements
Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462)
This visa is a working visa for young individuals seeking to holiday and work in Australia for up to one year. To be eligible for this visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old and at most 31 years old.
- You do not have a dependent child that will be accompanying you during any point of your stay in Australia.
- You must be outside of Australia to lodge an application.
- You must have a passport from one of the following countries United States of America, Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, turkey, Uruguay.
Temporary work (short stay activity) Visa (subclass 400)
- This working visa is for those who want to travel and work in Australia for up to three months. To be eligible for this visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You have specialised skills, knowledge or experience that is beneficial to an Australian business.
- You have been invited to engage in an Australian event.
- You are required to work in Australia under dyer circumstances.
Employer nomination scheme (subclass 186)
This visa is a permanent residence visa for skilled individuals. It allows you to work in Australia under three circumstances. These include:
- The temporary residence transition stream
- The direct entry system
- The agreement system
To qualify for this type of working visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You have been nominated by an approved Australian employer
- Meet the skills and qualifications for the position
- Meet English language skills requirements
- You do not exceed the age of 50 years old
- Must apply under one of the three streams mentioned above
Regional sponsored migration scheme Visa (subclass 187)
This working visa is a permanent residence visa for those seeking to work in regional Australia. You can work under one of three streams. These streams are mentioned under the Employer Nomination Scheme above. To qualify for this visa you must meet the following criteria:
- You have been nominated by an Australian employer in a regional Australian area
- You do not exceed the age of 50
- You have the skills and qualifications for the position
- You meet English language skills requirements
- Apply under one of the three streams mentioned in Employer Nomination Scheme
Special Category Visa (subclass 444)
This working visa for Australia is for New Zealand citizens who seek to work, study or stay in Australia. You must meet certain requirements to be eligible for this visa. These include:
- You are a New Zealand citizen
- You have a New Zealand passport
- Meet health and character requirements (this means you are not a health or behaviour concern)
To learn more about any of these Australian working visas please refer to the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.