Skill level

The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is:

Speech Pathology Association of Australia (SPAA)

Speech Pathology Australia is the professional body that represents speech pathologists in Australia. The Association is recognised as the national scientific and professional standards organisation for speech pathologists in Australia. Speech Pathology Australia is also the assessing authority for speech pathologists intending to apply for skilled migration to Australia. Most employers in Australia require prospective employees to be eligible for Practising membership of Speech Pathology Australia.

Speech pathologists who trained outside of Australia can have their qualifications and competence assessed by the Overseas Qualifications Assessment Team of Speech Pathology Australia to determine eligibility for Practising membership. Assessment by Speech Pathology Australia that you can competently use English in clinical practice is accepted as evidence of competent English use for purposes of skilled migration. Applicants must also demonstrate their competence in the area of dysphagia.

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you wish to practise your occupation.

Registration is only compulsory in Queensland

Additional training

You may require additional training in Australia before you can get your skills recognised, licensed or registered. For more information contact the relevant state or territory licensing or registration body listed above. You can also check with the Overseas Qualifications Unit in your state or territory

Industry association memberships

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation. This could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

Source: Department of Immigration and Citizenship Website