What You Need to Know About the GP Selection Exam

The Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) program is a postgraduate vocational training program funded by the Australian government for medical graduates wishing to train towards becoming a GP.

The program is full-time for a period of three years and incorporates training in medical facilities, GP placements and extended skills training. Recognition of prior learning may be taken into account and an additional fourth year is available to those who want to undertake the FARGP or FACRRM.

GP registrars in the AGPT program complete their training at one of nine Regional Training Organisations (RTOs) across Australia.



At the beginning of this year, improvements to the AGPT were announced as part of Health Workforce reforms. The selection of medical graduates for the program is now administered by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) and the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM), providing both Colleges with a broader role in the management and conduct of GP training.

The change is important for those intent on becoming a GP because it brings the GP speciality in line with other specialists.

What is the GP Selection Exam?

As a result of the RACGP and ACRRM being tasked to select registers, a GP selection exam has been implemented.

All candidates whose eligibility has been confirmed by the Department of Health will sit the Candidate Assessment Applied Knowledge Test (CAAKT) on the 22nd of July 2017 in centres located around Australia.

A minimum score must be achieved in order for candidates to proceed to interview stage at an assigned RTO. First round offers are then made by Regional Training Organisations in early September.

The GP selection exam is a 2.5 hour assessment comprising of multiple choice knowledge test questions, designed to assess clinical knowledge, and situational judgement test questions to assess reasoning in different scenarios.

A non-refundable fee of $700 is payable upon enrolment of the selection test via the ACRRM or $725 via the RACGP. Extended payment periods may be available to candidates experiencing financial hardship.

AGPT Applications

Applications for the 2018 AGPT program opened on 10th April 2017. Those wishing to be considered for the AGPT program must first register via the AGPT website and then complete an application with one of the two Colleges.

The RACGP will be responsible for the selection of 90% of candidates seeking to enter the AGPT program and intends to support placement of all candidates meeting the minimum score of the GP selection exam; the ACRRM will be responsible for the other 10%.

Junior doctors interested in becoming a GP are advised to contact both the ACRRM and the RACGP, as well as the RTO in their preferred region, to determine the most suitable application.

More information about the AGPT program and the GP selection exam can be obtained via the Australian Government Department of Health or the two Colleges.